zondag 27 augustus 2017

Sunday Stamps: 'D' is for Duif

My contribution for 27th of August's Sunday Stamps came a little later. Nevertheless I like to share with you the 'Duif'.

The Dutch word 'duif' in English is both 'dove' and 'pigeon'. Still it is hard for me to distinguish the difference between these two English translations, as in Dutch we name them both simply 'duif'.

Of course mail lovers will love the Postduif (Mail Pigeon).
Dutch PostNL happened to have issued two shaped stamps in honour of the 'youth philately's day' in 2014. One of these shows the Postduif:



The fact that postduiven ('duiven' is plural of 'duif') have to do with mail, is also shown on the following Europe stamp from Kazachstan. In 2008 the Europe stamps' theme was 'letter writing', and here he/she is: the postduif!



Many more duiven have been issued on stamps.

This (post)duif is from Indonesia:



And an other kind of duif from Malaysia:



Duiven also appear on cancellation stamps. Here is one on an official postmark from Taiwan:



And an unofficial postmark, but real rubberstamp print, from the USA, showing this most well-known bird to deliver mail:



See more stamps on the letter 'D' at and via the 27 August Sunday Stamps.

3 opmerkingen:

  1. I remember that I was very surprised when I received the "duifs", and I thought they weren't real stamps!

    I've received a dove (or pigeon) on a stamps this week. I'll publish it soon on the blog :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Even the postage checkers at Dutch PostNL have been thinking that their own stamps (the Post Duif and also the Post Egel) weren't real stamps!... Some time ago I got a bill from PostNL, a note with a code, suggesting I would have added insufficient postage. I then checked the code on the internet, and yes, there was this shaped stamp! So I wrote PostNL a letter to tell them I was right and that they had missed the PostNL stamp completely. And that was it. Since then I became afraid, each time I used this stamp, that such useless, time consuming thing would happen. So far it didn't (and meanwhile I almost ran out of this stamp).

      Looking forward to seeing your pigeon (or dove) stamp!

      Verwijderen
  2. Not sure how i didn't notice your D post until now... must be doddering in my old age :). Great dove/pigeon stamps.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen